The rainy weather this week has caused several
traffic accidents in West Palm Beach. Every year, rain is blamed for thousands of accidents. These accidents
are caused by drivers who don’t realize that driving habits must
be modified for wet roads.
How is wet-weather driving different?
1. When the road is wet, there is a film of the water between the tire
and the pavement. That means tires may easily lose traction.
2. It’s hard to see in the rain. Rain decreases visibility, and
it also reduces the effectiveness of headlights.
When it’s raining, drivers need to avoid losing traction or hydroplaning
and they need to remain visible.
These tips can help:
Avoid Losing Traction
1. Slow down.
2. Stay toward the middle lanes, or middle of your lane. Water tends to
pool in the outside lanes and makes the
3. Don't use cruise control. If a car hydroplanes while in cruise
control, it may accelerate.
4. Leave more time for braking, and brake with less force than you would
normally. This gives you more space to stop and also lets the driver behind
you know that you're slowing down.
5. If you start to hydroplane, don't brake suddenly or turn the wheel.
This can cause you to spin into a skid. Instead, release the gas pedal
slowly and steer straight until your car regains traction. If you must
brake while hydroplaning, gently tap the brake pedal (if you have anti-lock
brakes, you can put your foot down as usual).
6. Always use your headlights when it is raining, even if it is not raining
heavily. If you have fog lights, turn them on as well.
7. If it's raining so hard that you can't see the road or the
car in front of you, then you can’t be seen either. Pull over and
wait it out. The rain will die down after a few minutes.
8. Use your defogger. Rain will cause your windshield to fog up, so switch
on both front and rear defrosters and make sure your air conditioning
is turned on.
9. Plan for delays.
10. Increase your following distance. Instead of following the Three Second
Rule, allow 4 or 5 seconds – especially when following large trucks
Just a few extra precautions for wet weather may prevent an accident and
save your life.
These safe driving tips are brought to you by the Law Offices of Craig
Goldenfarb, P.A. West Palm Beach traffic accident attorney Craig Goldenfarb
represents victims of motor vehicle accidents in the counties of Palm
Beach, Martin and St. Lucie. If you have been injured in a Florida car
accident and need help getting compensation for your injuries,
contact Craig Goldenfarb at (561) 600-5605.
To get a head start on your Florida accident claim, download our free
guide: “What The Insurance Companies Don’t Want You To Know.”