West Palm Beach Social Security Disability Attorneys
Get the Support You Need to Seek the Benefits You Deserve
The Federal Government provides Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
benefits to individuals who cannot work because of physical and/or medical
problems. At The Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb in West Palm Beach, Florida,
we work diligently to assist clients in obtaining the social security
disability benefits they deserve.
*Note that we may refer your case to a highly-qualified, preferred law
firm of Mr. Goldenfarb's choice. Call us, and if we refer your case
to a local lawyer or firm that specialized in social security disability
claims, please know that you will be in great hands. We would not refer
a client to a lawyer or firm we do not thoroughly trust.
Qualifying for Social Security Disability
If you suffer from a medical condition that does or may prevent you from
working for a year or more, you may qualify for SSDI benefits. The term
used by the law is "substantial gainful employment," and proving
you cannot engage in substantial gainful employment can be difficult.
Among other items, you must be able to prove:
- You are not employed
- You have a severe impairment
- This impairment will last a minimum of twelve months or lead to death
You have satisfied the
Code of Federal Regulations medical listing requirements (If you are younger than 50 and unable to meet a medical listing, your
chances of qualifying are diminished.)
- You cannot perform any job held during your last 15 years of employment
(known as "past relevant work")
- You are unable to perform any available job based on your transferable
skills and educational level
- You have paid sufficient quarters into social security in the last five years
What You Need to Know About Social Security Disability
In some cases, benefits limit an individual to a certain type of work.
For example, individuals between the ages of 50 and 54 may be limited
to sedentary work. Those over 55 may be limited to light work. Other exceptions
apply for individuals who cannot speak English. If you are near 62 years
of age and qualify for SSDI, apply for benefits rather than taking early
retirement. By doing so until age 65, you will not experience any reduction
in benefits that can occur when early retirement is taken.
If you are eligible for SSDI, you are likely to be eligible for Medicare
coverage within 36 months from the date the Social Security Administration
(SSA) declares your disabled.
For those who do not qualify for SSDI, another federal program, known as
Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is available for impoverished people.
If You Are Denied Benefits
Very often, the SSA will deny an application for SSDI benefits, particularly
if it is the first application. Often, the application is again denied
at the reconsideration level. Once this occurs, you can request a hearing
before an administrative law judge. While you do not necessarily need
an attorney to follow these steps, a number of legal changes over the
past twenty years have made the filing process more complex. In fact,
claimants who attend a hearing without representation are denied twice
as often as persons attending their hearing with an attorney.
How can a skilled social security disability attorney help you win your
case? You might be surprised about what is needed to prepare and win your
- Gathering medical and other evidence
- Contacting doctor(s) to obtain your medical reports
- Requesting the SSA schedule a medical or psychological examination for you
- Reviewing your Social Security file
- Reviewing Social Security Administration decisions
- Asking the SSA to reopen prior applications
- Preparing you to testify at the hearing
- Questioning witnesses at the hearing
- Presenting appropriate opening and closing hearing statements
- Arguing to have your claim favorably decided without a hearing
- Verifying the SSA correctly calculates your benefits if you are successful
Why attempt to do all of this yourself when you can entrust your social
security disability case to a knowledgeable, thoroughly experienced West
Palm Beach Social Security Disability attorney like Craig Goldenfarb who
knows how to navigate the laws and the courtroom?
It makes sense to
contact the Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb for the support you need and the skill to win the benefits you deserve.
Please contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
The Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb, P.A. may refer a case in this practice
area to co-counsel.