A Florida nursing home abuse attorney often must pick up the pieces after
extremely disturbing cases of abuse, neglect, and other bad acts at West
Palm Beach area facilities.
One of the most disturbing kinds of nursing home abuse in Florida is unreasonable
restraint. Caregivers can literally trap seniors in their beds for hours
or even days at a stretch. Even less drastic forms of semi-incarceration
– for instance, barring a senior from seeing visitors or hanging
out with friends – can take a terrible toll. Obviously, unreasonable
restraint is despicable. But what are the consequences?
Truth be told, the consequences can range from acute medical problems
such as bed sores, bruising and bleeding, to chronic problems such as
depression and lowered immune response. Below is a more comprehensive list.
Acute problems caused by unreasonable restraint:
- Bed sores
- Chafing near the restraints
- Failure to take medications at specific times, which causes side effects
or recurrence of symptoms
- Lack of outdoor time leads to Vitamin D deficiency
- A senior can hurt himself or herself trying to fight against the restraints
Long-term/indirect crises caused by unreasonable restraint:
- Loss of interest in activities
- Loss of immune function
- Loss of muscular strength and bone density, which can in turn make a senior
more vulnerable for injuries such as slip and falls
- Infection and secondary problems caused by bed sores, bruises and the cuts
from the restraints
What to Do
It’s never too late to fight back, demand justice, and seek to obtain
compensation for the wrongs done to your loved ones. Connect with the
Florida nursing home neglect attorneys at the law offices of Craig Goldenfarb
by calling (561) 600-5605. Our team can help punish the wrongdoers and
protect the care and legacy of the person you care about so much.