Officials expect that car insurance rates in Florida will increase by an average of $80 this year. Why? Florida leads the nation in staged car wrecks, and these insurance scams are costing Floridians billions of dollars.
As the economy has declined, the number of fake accidents in Florida has been growing. Between 2009 and 2010, there was a 77 percent increase in the number of staged accidents. Why does this happen?
Some people believe that Florida’s no-fault auto accident insurance law makes it easier for criminals to get by with staging accidents in Florida. No-fault insurance means that insurance companies must pay up to $10,000 per victim for injuries, no matter who is at fault. If two cars with four occupants each stage a crash in West Palm Beach, the insurance company could pay $80,000 in damages.
However, staged accidents can be dangerous. No one can predict how an accident will turn out. In 1997, an entire family was killed when their station wagon was crushed between two trucks staging an accident on a California freeway.
You can’t prevent staged accidents, but you can avoid becoming a victim. Here are six tips from Craig Goldenfarb, an autoaccident lawyer in West Palm Beach:
- Avoid tailgating. A common staged accident scenario is the “swoop and squat.” A driver suddenly pulls in front of another car and then slams on his brakes to cause an accident. Leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you so you have time to stop if the other driver unexpectedly stops.
- If you are involved in a Florida car crash, call the police and file an accident report. Do this even if damage is minimal. This makes it more difficult for the dishonest driver to intentionally damage his car in order to collect a larger insurance settlement.
- Use your camera or cell phone to take pictures of the scene. Photograph everyone involved in the accident, including any passengers. Photograph the damage to both cars. If the other driver objects, ask the officer at the scene to help you.
- Get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and car insurance information. Ask for his driver’s license number and vehicle registration information. Write down his license plate number and the make, model, and color of his vehicle.
- Remember that any doctors, lawyers, or tow-truck drivers at the scene may also be part of the scam. Never allow your vehicle to be towed by a company that you didn’t call to the scene.
- Never agree to settle with cash, even if you think the accident might be your fault. Report the accident to your own insurance company.
- If you were seriously injured, you may want to discuss your accident with a car accident lawyer in West Palm Beach. If you believe you were part of a staged accident scam, he may be able to help you find evidence to prove your claim.
The Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb offer free consultations to Florida accident victims.
Craig Goldenfarb was honest and compassionate with me.    "What made me feel good is when [Craig Goldenfarb] mentioned his mom went to law school, and I thought he must be very close with her. And I liked that about him. My thing with him was trust. He was so honest and compassionate with me. Watch Rita's Story
They worked so hard on my behalf.    "After my accident, I felt a lot of comfort knowing that I could get back to work and back to my life, knowing that someone was advocating on behalf of me. A colleague at work had recommended me to this firm, and I'm so happy I called. They worked so hard on my behalf. Watch Shelly's Story
Do yourself a favor and call Craig Goldenfarb.    "After my accident, I couldn't do anything any more. I can't cut my grass, take care of my pool, or play golf anymore. Dealing with the insurance companies is a terrible - you don't know what you are doing. Do yourself a favor and call Craig Goldenfarb's office. This guy is a straight shooter. I would absolutely recommended him to anybody that needs a lawyer. Watch Harold's Story
When I recommend somebody, I only recommend the best. And I recommend Craig Goldenfarb.    "It's really scary when you're in an accident, especially when it's not even your fault. So to find someone like Craig Goldenfarb to help me get my life back on track has been an immense blessing. When I recommend someone to somebody, I only recommend the best. And I would absolutely recommend Craig Goldenfarb to anybody. Watch Gwen's Story
I would describe the process as a relief and a weight off my shoulders.    "My boyfriend and I were t-boned by a driver who wasn't paying attention. All I remember is being tossed around in the passenger seat. It was terrifying. I began to seek medical treatment, and someone who had seen my type of injuries before recommended that I call Craig Goldenfarb. I didn't call right away; but a few weeks later, I began to receive things in the mail from the insurance company, and that's when I thought it was time to call. Now that my case is resolved, I would describe the whole experience as a relief, thanks to Craig Goldenfarb. Watch Muriel's Story
I needed to protect myself, and that's why I called Craig Goldenfarb's office.    "When I fell and broke my wrist, that seemed like the end of anything I was going to be able to do for the rest of my life. My daughter said, 'Mom, don't feel bad for yourself. You need a lawyer to protect you.' She was right. That's why I called Craig Goldenfarb's office. Watch Jean's Story
When I recommend somebody, I only recommend the best. And I recommend Craig Goldenfarb.    "It's really scary when you're in an accident, especially when it's not even your fault. So to find someone like Craig Goldenfarb to help me get my life back on track has been an immense blessing. When I recommend someone to somebody, I only recommend the best. And I would absolutely recommend Craig Goldenfarb to anybody.
An honorable law firm "I can not say enough about the high caliber of people that work at Mr Goldenfarb's law firm. They are so incredible and have the clients best interest at heart. I would not recommend any other firm to represent me or my family.Karl Dierksen
I Love this company! I was very happy with the Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb. I would use them again if I need an attorney.Janine Conigliaro
Great team! I fell at one of the local grocery stores 2 yrs ago. I have never sued anyone before and was clueless what to do. I saw the ad for the Goldenfarb Law Offices and called them. I told them the story and they took it from there. I was able to have my injuries taken care of promptly. This is the office to call!Sue C
Great Service "Company was amazingly stream lined. Very well managed the process was seamlessMartin
I sing their praise from now on. "I fell in the mall about five years ago. I fell that I had a awesome team of attorney they were great thought out the hold time.patient kind some nice . I sing their praise from now on. The staff always pleasant great people. They really know their jobs.They have it together I will highly recommended their office. For any case.Deborah Jones