Summer is coming to Florida. Swimming pools are a great way to keep cool despite the heat and humidity, but swimming pools can be dangerous. West Palm Beach drowning lawyer Craig Goldenfarb has prepared this list of safety tips to help you and your family enjoy the pool and stay safe.
First the facts:
According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), nearly 3500 people are killed in drowning accidents every year. About 400 (11%) of these accidents occur in Florida, making Florida the top state for drowning deaths.
Florida is also the top state for near-drowning accidents. About 566 people a year are injured in Florida swimming pool accidents. The most common types of injuries which occur in swimming pool accidents include:
- Near drowning
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Injury to the spinal cord
- Injuries to the limbs
Some facts regarding swimming pool accidents in the U.S.:
- According to CDC data, over one quarter of drowning victims are children. Sixty percent of near-drowning victims are children.
- Children between the ages of one and four are most likely to be involved in Florida swimming pool accidents.
- Approximately one-fifth of children who are admitted to hospitals after near-drowning accidents sustain serious long-term brain damage.
- The lifelong cost of treating the injuries sustained by a swimming pool accident drowning victim can cost more than $4 million.
- Florida’s drowning rate is twice the rate for the rest of the United States.
- Negligence and defective pool parts are the two most common causes of West Palm Beach swimming pool accidents.
Florida swimming pool safety tips:
Most young children who become victims of swimming pool accidents are injured while at home. In most cases, the child had been out of sight for fewer than five minutes, and was in the care of one or both parents when the drowning occurred. Don’t assume your child is safe; it is worth the time and cost to take steps to prevent Florida swimming pool accidents.
West Palm Beach drowning lawyer Craig Goldenfarb suggests taking the following safety precautions:
- Install a pool fence which completely secures the swimming pool area. The fence should be, at minimum, 4 feet high with self-closing and self-latching gates which open outward. The latches should be out of the reach of children.
- Install automated door locks and/or alarms so children cannot access the pool area without an adult.
- Install a powered safety pool cover or other type of motor-powered barrier that will prevent accidental falls into the pool.
- Remove any flotation devices, balls, or other toys from the pool area when not in use so children aren’t tempted to enter the area.
- If the pool is above ground, remove all ladders/steps when the pool is not being used.
- Make sure that the pump’s shut off switch is clearly marked.
- Check all of the pool’s drains. Never attempt to use a pool with a broken drain.
- Use a pool drain cover with a dome-shaped design.
- Consider the installation of a Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS), which will automatically shutoff when any type of blockage is detected.
- Get your pool inspected every year; all drains and other pool parts should be checked for integrity and safety at the beginning of the swimming season.
- Make sure there is an adult present whenever children are swimming. Do not rely on flotation devices.
- Take a CPR class. These are available through the Palm Beach Red Cross, 561-833-7711.
If you have lost a loved one to a West Palm Beach drowning accident, we are very sorry for your loss. If your loss occurred because another person failed to prevent the accident or because of a defective pool part, you may be able to file a Florida drowning lawsuit. We know compensation can’t erase your loss, but it can help you get the accountability you need.
If your child was injured in a near-drowning, a Florida drowning lawsuit can help you get compensation for their medical care and disability. To learn more, pleasecontact the Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb, P.A. today to schedule a confidential, no-cost consultation with a West Palm Beach drowning lawyer.
Craig Goldenfarb was honest and compassionate with me.    "What made me feel good is when [Craig Goldenfarb] mentioned his mom went to law school, and I thought he must be very close with her. And I liked that about him. My thing with him was trust. He was so honest and compassionate with me. Watch Rita's Story
They worked so hard on my behalf.    "After my accident, I felt a lot of comfort knowing that I could get back to work and back to my life, knowing that someone was advocating on behalf of me. A colleague at work had recommended me to this firm, and I'm so happy I called. They worked so hard on my behalf. Watch Shelly's Story
Do yourself a favor and call Craig Goldenfarb.    "After my accident, I couldn't do anything any more. I can't cut my grass, take care of my pool, or play golf anymore. Dealing with the insurance companies is a terrible - you don't know what you are doing. Do yourself a favor and call Craig Goldenfarb's office. This guy is a straight shooter. I would absolutely recommended him to anybody that needs a lawyer. Watch Harold's Story
When I recommend somebody, I only recommend the best. And I recommend Craig Goldenfarb.    "It's really scary when you're in an accident, especially when it's not even your fault. So to find someone like Craig Goldenfarb to help me get my life back on track has been an immense blessing. When I recommend someone to somebody, I only recommend the best. And I would absolutely recommend Craig Goldenfarb to anybody. Watch Gwen's Story
I would describe the process as a relief and a weight off my shoulders.    "My boyfriend and I were t-boned by a driver who wasn't paying attention. All I remember is being tossed around in the passenger seat. It was terrifying. I began to seek medical treatment, and someone who had seen my type of injuries before recommended that I call Craig Goldenfarb. I didn't call right away; but a few weeks later, I began to receive things in the mail from the insurance company, and that's when I thought it was time to call. Now that my case is resolved, I would describe the whole experience as a relief, thanks to Craig Goldenfarb. Watch Muriel's Story
I needed to protect myself, and that's why I called Craig Goldenfarb's office.    "When I fell and broke my wrist, that seemed like the end of anything I was going to be able to do for the rest of my life. My daughter said, 'Mom, don't feel bad for yourself. You need a lawyer to protect you.' She was right. That's why I called Craig Goldenfarb's office. Watch Jean's Story
When I recommend somebody, I only recommend the best. And I recommend Craig Goldenfarb.    "It's really scary when you're in an accident, especially when it's not even your fault. So to find someone like Craig Goldenfarb to help me get my life back on track has been an immense blessing. When I recommend someone to somebody, I only recommend the best. And I would absolutely recommend Craig Goldenfarb to anybody.
An honorable law firm "I can not say enough about the high caliber of people that work at Mr Goldenfarb's law firm. They are so incredible and have the clients best interest at heart. I would not recommend any other firm to represent me or my family.Karl Dierksen
I Love this company! I was very happy with the Law Offices of Craig Goldenfarb. I would use them again if I need an attorney.Janine Conigliaro
Great team! I fell at one of the local grocery stores 2 yrs ago. I have never sued anyone before and was clueless what to do. I saw the ad for the Goldenfarb Law Offices and called them. I told them the story and they took it from there. I was able to have my injuries taken care of promptly. This is the office to call!Sue C
Great Service "Company was amazingly stream lined. Very well managed the process was seamlessMartin
I sing their praise from now on. "I fell in the mall about five years ago. I fell that I had a awesome team of attorney they were great thought out the hold time.patient kind some nice . I sing their praise from now on. The staff always pleasant great people. They really know their jobs.They have it together I will highly recommended their office. For any case.Deborah Jones